Barking Deer(Muntiacus muntjak)

This reddish coloured deer, seen singly or in pairs, is the smallest of the four kinds of deer in the park. It prefers densely forested hills but is sometimes found in the lowlands. The antlers are small, consisting of a short brow-tine and an unbranched beam. In does, tufts of bristly hair replace the horns. The name is derived from its alarm call, which sounds rather like the hoarse barking of a dog.

Hog Deer (Axis porcinus)

Related to the spotted deer, but smaller and less graceful. The name is derived from its squat appearance and habit of running with the head down instead of bounding like other deer. Sometimes found in groups, they prefer the grassland margins of riverbeds. They are wary animals with an acute sense of sight, smell and hearing.; The gestation period is eight months.

Spotted Deer or Chital (Axis axis)

This beautiful deer, which is found in large herds, is one of the tiger’s favourite prey. They inhabit scrub forest and grassland along the forest edges. They are especially active and visible during the spring months.

One Horned Rhinoceros

One Horned Rhinoceros belongs to the Rhinocerotidae family. Listed as a vulnerable species, the large mammal are protected in the Terai of Nepal, where populations are confined to the riverine grasslands in the foothills of the Himalayas.

In 1957, the country's first conservation law insured the protection of rhinos and their habitat. In 1959, Edward Pritchard Gee undertook a survey of the Chitwan Valley, and recommended the creation of a protected area north of the Rapti River and of a wildlife sanctuary south of the river for a trial period of 10 years. After his subsequent survey of Chitwan in 1963, he recommended extension of the sanctuary to the south. By the end of the 1960s, only 95 rhinos remained in the Chitwan Valley. The dramatic decline of the rhino population and the extent of poaching prompted the government to institute the Gaida Gasti – a rhino reconnaissance patrol of 130 armed men and a network of guard posts all over Chitwan. To prevent the extinction of rhinos, the Chitwan National Park was gazetted in December 1970, with borders delineated the following year and established in 1973, initially encompassing an area of 544 km2 (210 sq mi). Since 1973, the population has recovered well and increased to 544 animals around the turn of the century. To ensure the survival of rhinos in case of epidemics, animals were translocated annually from Chitwan to the Bardia National Park and the Sukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve since 1986.

Page 4 of 5